Search This Blog

Sunday, December 9, 2012

World Human Rights Day

Tomorrow, 10 December, is World Human Rights Day. A couple of my friends in India have already hailed it and my friend Anne asked what are you going to do for Human Rights Day on her FB page. Fleur Carter wrote a typically eloquent post here. If the link doesn't work, copy and paste this URL: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/12/the-5-things-i-learned-from-tibetans-fleur-carter/.

I'll be succinct and lazy. I'm cribbing this from my note to Fleur:

I think the main thing is that if people just take a few minutes to consider the ramifications of our actions, take a little time to see that caring a little more for our neighbor - whether it's a friend or someone who really tests our patience - than ourselves is a viable approach to living together, then we have seeds planted to that degree in becoming more actively engaged human rights supporters.
That said, to everyone who supports or volunteers with any given group, spread the word. If anyone is on the fence, do a little research, find an organization that makes sense to you and throw in a little love for them. I have a short list I'm always happy to share (and will post later today or tomorrow); doesn't matter who you throw in with in this arena. What helps one, helps all. Succeed in helping one person up an we are all uplifted a little more.
My short list is here without links, but I think everyone knows how to use a search engine for more information.

  1. Human Rights Watch
  2. Amnesty International
  3. Oxfam
  4. Physicians for Human Rights
  5. Medicines sans Frontieres
  6. The Red Cross
  7. Save the Children Fund
You be the idea. You may share some of my interests, so there are more specialized endeavors like US Campaign for Burma, Students for Free Tibet, Machik, and so on. In the main, if there is some area of human rights you'd like to support, there are always places that need you.

Peace, all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment