Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Jaipur Textiles!


This is a huge shout out to Dev at Satguru Exports near the Holiday Inn in Jaipur, who was good enough to put up with my questions about block printing on fabric and was kind enough to let me snap these pics of some of the work Satguru makes.

He also had a tailored shirt made for me and I will treasure this for a long time to come.

I took more pictures than these, but unfortunately, the others came out too fuzzy to do justice to the level of detail in the prints and the fabrics. I hope Dev doesn't mind that Satguru is so poorly represented; but I can't recommend them highly enough. I also picked up a dynamite scarf which you can see, as well, that might give you an idea of the kind of craftsmanship we're talking about.

A bounty of regret:

Rajsthan is rightly known for its arts and crafts and I really do want to go back to document more of the textile and ceramic work I saw, as well as the marble sculpting that you notice on your way into town and all around the area.

I'm putting this out there now: if you come to India, do spend some serious time in this region. At some point, in the not too distant future, I think I will have to vacation in Rajasthan (and compose a more cohesive page!)




No comments:

Post a Comment